Use pads — not tampons or a menstrual cup — for the first 48 hours after your IUD is removed. You can use tampons or a menstrual cup after 48 hours.
- Some people may feel some pain, cramping, or dizziness when the IUD is taken out
- You might have some light bleeding afterwards
- Pain in your lower tummy
- Unusual or smelly discharge
- Bleeding between periods
- Really heavy or painful periods
- Pain with sex
- If your temperature is up AND you have any of the above
If you have any of these issues, or if you think something doesn't feel right, contact us, or your regular health provider, as soon as possible.
Need urgent help?
If you require medical advice outside of our opening hours, call Healthline for free on 0800 611 116 anytime or get help from an after-hours medical centre or emergency services.